Here is a detailed guide on how to use the phrase "get used to" in English, complete with common patterns and natural examples.
Core Meaning
"Get used to" means to become accustomed to something over time. It describes the process of adapting to a new situation, environment, habit, or change.
(Note: This is different from "be used to," which describes the final state of already being accustomed to something.)
Key Grammar Rule (Important!)
The word "to" in this phrase is a preposition, not part of an infinitive verb. Therefore, it must be followed by either:
A noun or pronoun
A gerund (verb + ing)
Correct: I got used to waking up early.
Incorrect: I got used to wake up early. ❌
Common Sentence Patterns
1. Get used to + [Noun / Pronoun]
Used when adapting to a new thing, food, weather, culture, etc.
Structure: get used to [something]
Example: It takes time to get used to a new job.
Example: I finally got used to the cold weather here.
2. Get used to + [Verb-ing]
Used when adapting to a new habit, routine, or action.
Structure: get used to doing [something]
Example: She is trying to get used to working night shifts.
Example: Did you get used to driving on the left side of the road?
Variations by Tense
Because "get" is a verb, you can change its tense depending on when the adaptation happens:
Present (Habit/General): I am getting used to the new software. (I'm in the process of adapting right now.)
Past (Completed process): It took me a month to got used to living alone.
Future: You will get used to it soon! (Encouragement)
Comparison: "Get used to" vs. "Be used to"
Get used to = The process of adapting.
Example: I am getting used to the noise. (It's still a bit loud, but I'm adjusting.)
Be used to = The state of being already comfortable/accustomed.
Example: I am used to the noise. (It doesn't bother me anymore; I'm completely accustomed to it.)
0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿